The main character's bedroom is my brother's bedroom (left). It's a small room and it was sometimes difficult to get the tripod in the right position for the shot. I had to adjust the distance and height of the equipment many times, just to get the right angle. For example, I wanted a low angle shot of the corner of the room. Since I couldn't move back very far, I had to tilt the tripod to the extreme which was uncomfortable for me since I still had to look through the lens.
For the paralysis scene, I used water mist to give the appearance of sweat.
It worked well and didn't cause skin irritation or stain the bedsheets.
I struggled with getting good lighting in the bedroom. The curtains had to be closed because it was meant to be night time; but I couldn't just rely on the lamp because it made the footage look grainy and orange. After finding a good place to put it, I used a strong torch to provide a clear white light which would reflect off the wall in the background, without making the room too bright. You can see the sphere of light shining off the wall in this picture. The lamp was positioned in the foreground, which effectively created shadows on the main character.
It was hard to get a low angle shot in such a small room. This is the scene where the creature is standing in the corner of the room, about to attack the paralysed character.
I had to take a picture and edit the creature in later because there wasn't time to make a prop and makeup wouldn't look realistic for this part.
I read online that in most cases, editing looked more effective than actual props or actors. You can create an object which looks as deformed and exaggerated as you want, which is more difficult to achieve when working with an existing object.



No comments:
Post a Comment